Monday, February 1, 2010

show of the week, song of the week.

My pick for this week is being hosted by my alma mater, NYU.  On Thursday the 4th Atlas Sound, Neon Indian and Sisters are playing at the Kimmel Center at NYU.

Atlas Sound combines shoe gaze, alt rock, and indie into a schmorgesborg of sounds that you have probably heard in songs like Walkabout and Sheila.  Their innovative use of delay and reverb has massively influenced the indie scene that is bursting at the seams in Brooklyn right now.

Neon Indian is an electronic act that will definitely have the crowd dancing.  Well known for their remixes of Grizzly Bear's Cheerleader, Neon Indian brings synthesizers and samples together in a most satisfactory harmony to create sometimes upbeat, sometimes dark recordings.  I haven't seen them live but their is not doubt in my mind that they will be a crowd pleaser; I just hope that NYU can provide lighting worthy of their set.  (that may have come off a bit cynical, but what do you want from me after 3 years there)

Doors at 7:30, $5 w/ NYU ID, $8 w/o.  [more info]

Some songs from the artists...

Atlas Sound - Quick Canal (featuring Laetitia Sadier)
Atlas Sound - Walkabout (featuring Noah Lennox)
Atlas Sound - Sheila
Neon Indian - Deadbeat Summer
Neon Indian - Terminally Chill
Grizzly Bear - Cheerleader (Neon Indian sega genesis p-orridge remix)

Song of the week...Yeasayer!  When I heard this for the first time I was in instant need of new underwear.  I know you'll feel the same.

Yeasayer - O.N.E.

No comments:

Post a Comment