Monday, February 15, 2010

lusine.

Today, thanks to RCRDLBL.com, I discovered Lusine's latest release, 'A Certain Distance' (2009).  Based in Seattle, Lusine is the brainchild of Jeff McIlwain, a student of 90's Brit Electronica.  On 'A Certain Distance,' Lusine combines the sounds of Four Tet, Boards of Canada and Air with verse chorus writing tendencies, as well as the lyrical sensibilities of featured artist Vilja Larjosto on two tracks.  Her vocals bind the air of Portishead and Morcheeba with the depth of Shara Worden of My Brightest Diamond.  In tracks 'Twilight' and 'Two Dots,' layered vocals float across wonderfully ambient soundscapes while the combined artists' pop tendencies allow the songs to remain suspenseful.

Lusine has put out seven solo releases and has collaborated with artists on compilations for many labels.  One such collaboration caught my ear.  'Locks,' written in conjunction with David Wingo, was recorded for Ghostly International's 2006 compilation, 'Idol Tryouts Two.'  Wingo's strumming and Lusine's electronic pulses combine for a soothing vamp that, while I can't say I hear the tune develope too much, had my head floating in clouds (and I was totally sober!).


Lusine - Two Dots (feat. Vilja Larjosto)
Lusine - Twilight (feat. Vilja Larjosto)
Lusine - Cirrus

No comments:

Post a Comment