Tuesday, January 12, 2010

It's Tuesday! and here's some music

1. Here We Go Magic - Fangela
I got this off of someone's best of '09 list and was very happy with what I heard. The music is lighthearted and bouncy. Plucked strings and echoing claps seem to prance underneath a sweet vocal melody that might result from wild unprotected sex between Simon, Garfunkel and Animal Collective. The lyrics, in contrast to the melodies and rhythms, are rather dark referring to the exhaustion of the world and presence of evil. A beautiful song with a hint of cynicism.

2. Boys Noize - Lava Lava
This one is the dance track of the day. I love the saw-like effects that are popular in today's club music and remixes; the sounds that Justice and Benny Benassi brought to the ears of the masses a few years ago. These guys take a lot from Justice but add their own chaotic interpretations of danceable rhythms and sounds. One theme is built upon for the whole song, which might lose some of you a little more than half way through, however the energy is renewed shortly afterwards so hold on. Good effort coming from Berlin.

3. Passion Pit - To Kingdom Come
A couple friends of mine attended Passion Pit's show at Terminal 5 this past Friday. Their enthusiasm about the show - not unexpected - encouraged me to write up one of their songs. 'To Kingdom Come' is introduced by a synth line that brought me back to the days of Waverunner on my nintendo, cheesy 80s all the way. The vocals enter with a distinctly contemporary sound. I recognize some TV on the Radio influence in their styles and melody. The prechorus gives me chills; overdubbed vocals chant a melody reminding me of The Buggles' first hit. Nah nah goes the chorus, not quite as catchy as the prechorus but a necessary release with beating bass drums keeping the track danceable. The song climaxes at the very end and, if I have one comment, ends a little to abruptly. On first listen I was intrigued but not sold. After a few I think this tune takes my vote for one of the better tunes I've heard recently. This is my favorite of the day so listen to it a couple times for me.

If you are unfamiliar with Passion Pit, listen to these tracks. Their music is genuine, unigue and orgasmic at times. LISTEN LOUD!

Passion Pit - Sleepyhead
Passion Pit - Moth's Wings


P.S. I would love to hear some of your comments so please let me know what you think of songs, posts, shows, suggestions, or pretty much anything you want. It's really easy and if you have a google account you can even login in with that username and password.

Much love,
Jake

1 comment:

  1. you're right about the funny nintendo-esque opening... i like the mixed up beats in the chorus (or prechorus?) though. these guys are growing on me :)

    ReplyDelete