Monday, January 4, 2010

some tracks i thought you should hear

Here are some tracks that I've come across today that inspired me in some way or another.

The first is a song that I found on a new blog that my girl Andrea put me onto. One of her friends is writing about music in NYC and she posted about this chick Lykke Li here. Here is a cover of Kings of Leon's "Knocked Up" that is very appropriate!

I wrote up a Titus and Andronicus show on New Years Eve last week. Though I did not get the chance to catch their show, I was able to find some of their tracks online. One track, well two actually, grabbed me. Between part one and two of "Four Score and Seven," a wave of evolving sounds roll and crash in layers. Part one begins smoothly, building with rhythm and melody towards a finale of horns, guitars and waling lyrics. The symphonic climax of part one is celebrated in part two, beginning about where its first half left off, and embellished in grand rhythms, droning guitars and righteous chants.

The next track was recommended to me by my roomie. Animal Collective seems to release a new song every other week, and who's complaining? This one is apparently a tribute to a Grateful Dead song with similar lyrics, though the song's qualities are hardly reminiscent of their (the Grateful Dead's) sound. The first half of the song can be interpreted as an exercise in patience as initially intriguing rhythms and ambient, ethereal sounds set an anticipatory mood for three and a half minutes. However, when the voice finally breaks through, the doors to the clouds open and suck you out. The tension built by the intro is released enticingly- nothing short of irresistible. It's possible that the song's structure is meant to literally represent the name of the song - 0:00 to 3:31, hmmm, is something going to happen? 3:32 to the end, ahhhh "sky!"(finally).

No comments:

Post a Comment