Tuesday, March 23, 2010

oh no ono and more.

I'm back and better than ever! Enough about me,

First and foremost, Oh No Ono, a group I've written about before, is playing two nights in NYC, Wednesday at Mercury Lounge and Thursday at Music Hall of Williamsburg. Oh No Ono is inventive and prolific. Their music, while remaining pop, runs through an array of musical styles and will be stimulating for even the most discriminating ears. I caught a quiet set of theirs at Soundfix Records earlier this year and was really impressed with what they could do with some tiny amps, a couple mics and a drum machine. Definitely make it out to one of the two shows where they'll be performing full band [more info here]. Here is some music from the bands that are playing.

VV Brown - Shark In The Water
VV Brown - Leave (Style of Eye Remix)

VV Brown, who will play with Oh No Ono and Little Dragon at Music Hall of Williamsburg on Thursday, disappoints me! VV unsuccessfully tried to fill Amy Winehouse's shoes when she didn't want to go to rehab one too many times. Her music tries to throw back but she cops out and writes formulaic pop songs that everybody has heard before. Take the song 'Shark In the Water' for instance: this song starts like a KT Tunstall tune and then explodes into a chorus that reminds me of Jay-Z's 'Empire State of Mind' (and every other R&B pop song I hear blasting from the gigantic cars in my neighborhood). She could sell a ton of records, which is more than one could say for a lot of the music that is put out there, but won't be remembered. I should say that after a few listens her songs were stuck in my head (god damnit!) but the music is over-produced and uninteresting, though it may be good for a pre-friday night pump-up.

In other news, MGMT forgot to call the plumber and their new album Congratulations has leaked all over the internet. You can listen to the whole thing at their website http://www.whoismgmt.com/ or download tracks from a number of different sources (including me).


One more group to check out. Empire of the Sun are an Australian group who released their album Walking On A Dream in 2008 which, despite going platinum in their home country, did not receive much recognition nationally. They were recently nominated for two Brit Awards, International Album and International Breakthrough Act, and have earned a fair amount of blogger recognition in the past few months. I hereby award Empire of the Sun my stamp of approval and will jump on the bandwagon of promoting them to the American public.

Empire of the Sun - Walking On A Dream

I love you all,
Jake

download (right click and save as) or play (with the play icon next to each song) any song I post

No comments:

Post a Comment